...

...

: : : :

: : : :

Sunday, January 06, 2013

Ring out the New, Ring in the Old

Another year has gone. I have been thinking about my new year resolution. Yes, I do believe in making these just like I love my To Do lists … and then to count the tick marks by the yearend!
The transition to the new year was very relaxed this time. We were in India at a family getaway on the kaleidoscopic beaches of Konkan, amidst ruddy winding roads, laterite houses and deep green mountains.

A yearly trip to India , is much like a dip in the Ganga river that strips me off the fake fanciness and frills of modern life. It just makes me grounded and real. Everything that happens throughout the year gets summarized into something spiritual.

I don’t know what exactly it is about the place that just melts away the materialism of a “facebookish” life and challenges you to 'face' it in a real way. Hence my new year resolution is to identify with this 'real' inner beauty of the world and my own self.
I kept asking myself, why meeting with a far off friend does not excite me anymore these days. There is no more mystery left. Because we tend to know too much of the person through social networking sites already and develop an opinion without knowing the true side of the person. That requires a 'real' meeting. And when that happens, things fall back in place.

I admit being guilty to the same offense. To fall in the technological trap. Hot profile pictures and cold hearts, 500 in the friend list but still friendless,fake comments on make-believe lives. Soon this facebook fanaticism turns into facebook depression. No one knows what the reality is. Just paint a pretty picture and keep fooling yourself.

No. Real life is much more sparkling than this. I will continue to seek beauty, but in the realness of everything. With this new approach, I looked at my India trip in a different way.
I valued the “doing nothing” times spent with family being completely committed to the moment. I enjoyed decorating our new place weaving Indianness through scattered IKEA items. I cherished the laid back times with my oldest friends not bothering about the “good girl” mask that I need to put on with new people. My son had the best time exploring the simplest of experiences like opening a pea pod and choosing the best peas from it to eat. The thrill of finding all sweet peas in a pod is much higher than having a bagfull of frozen peas though most of them would be of the best quality!
Much like life itself.

But it’s a good start. Some broken ties are on the way to patch up. Life so gives some rare chances to be the bigger person. I am happy to see my “quietHappiness” touching many more lives, proudly showcased in popular book houses or sitting cozy in sidewalk cafes.My obsession with cleanliness and cold war with dust are forgotten as the walls of my apartment seem too white again .These subtle nuances are evidence to that magical hometown spell.
Happy New Year.

~ all said and done, don’t be surprised to see my new profile picture ;)



7 comments:

  1. India always is an Eye opener...
    filled with bundles of surprises, freshness and excitement...
    Nice resolution "to find inner beauty"

    for me this year is all about finding "inner peace and satisfaction..." ;)

    oh... and little one's pea pod experience brought me a BIG smile... :)

    Happy New year to you too....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nivedita. Plenty of humble little developments in this new year will bring you all the inner peace and satisfaction :)

      Delete
  2. Well said Nats....It is so important to continue to find happiness in small things in life....I enjoyed your time in India and got a chance to connect with Ary...my sweetheart! I miss you all a lot, but in a way it makes to look forward to your next visit to India, when all this can be repeated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Natasha,
    It was wonderful meeting you and Arhaant. He is such a sweetheart! And ofcourse I read your poems, they are amazing! I loved this blog too..You have great expressive power, and in a way feel that whatever you write is somewhere related to all of us and our memories back ( and why not, we have spent 10 precious years together!) . keep writing and though we are using same "facebook" media to connect , we will make it a point to call each other and spend some more time together in your next visit!
    Love to Arhaant, take care...

    Deepali

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Deepali. Your heartfelt message brings much more value to 'quiet happiness'. Yes,whatever we have become now is a product of those evolving school years that we have shared together.
    I will always preserve this 'real' connection :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey N!
    I am back on your blog after a long break ;)
    Enjoyed all the posts that I had missed out on over the past several weeks. Especially liked "growing up" :) Little "A" looks adorable!
    This was a great read - loved the last line!! Also, thoroughly enjoyed all the beautiful pictures you shared! It was very nice to see your family and the fun times you had during your recent India stay.
    Wishing All Of You A Very Happy New Year as well!!
    Lots of love,
    VP :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VP. Enjoy a great new year with your sweet little princess and her many explorations:)

      Delete

Thanks for enjoying some quietHappiness.
Please drop a comment if you relate to my writings.
Always appreciate your feedback :)